Thursday, February 21, 2008

12 STEPS
By Malik Isasis






















One of my contemporaries and favorite bloggers, The Field Negro refers to people obsessed with Barack Obama as “Obamaholics”. Well, Field: My name is Malik Isasis, and I’m an Obamaholic. My Obamaholism started seemingly, upon watching him speak at the 2004 Democratic National Convention for John Kerry. It quietly and slowly began to grow after his announcement to run. 22 states, 1,318 delegates, 2,145,097 votes, and 10 straight victories later, Barack has become a full-blown addiction.

Hyperbole aside, I’ve been speaking with my friends here in Seattle and New York and all but one (she’s a Hillary fan) are Obama supporters and have been avid supporters. Two of my friends are delegates and caucused for Obama in Washington. Yet, another is lobbying the local Democratic Party to go to Denver for the 2008 Democratic National Convention.

Haters

Folks like Paul Bagala a CNN pundit, NY Times columnist Paul Krugman and other Hillary political surrogates have accused, or confused excitement over Obama’s candidacy and his subsequent success as a cult (see here, too).

One of the things that Bush has bequeathed to the American people during his eight years was unrelenting fear. The side effect of this unrelenting fear was an inoculation to it. Hillary and Bill along with their surrogates in a haze of desperation are trying to tap into a vein and inject fear of Obama’s inexperience. The politics of fear have played out, and the Clintons are playing themselves with this tactic.

McCain’s and Clinton’s attack messages are parroting one another as they pile on the hopemonger who espouses the end of fear politicking to bully and manipulate the populace.

The Feign

I probably won’t get to watch the debate between Hilary and Obama tonight (February 21, 2008 on CNN) because none of my friends or family has cablevision, nor does their snootiness allow them to watch television. No cable, no television. I’ve been getting my political fix watching news clips on the internets.

As my vacation draws to an end, I’m fighting to stay in the moment and enjoy the 60 degree weather here in Seattle in the dead of winter, but my mind frequently wanders back to New York where I can enjoy watching political news and writing. These thoughts remind me of the old adage that an addiction is always one’s first lover, everything else is secondary. See you in New York.

Go Obama!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home