Thursday, December 04, 2008

THE SHORT FILM EDITION: ISSUE 49, VOLUME 76
SOJOURN
a short film by Jonathan Baab



Ja Baab is a friend of mine. I saw Sojourn four years ago when I was looking for a Director of Photography for my film, Urbanworld. After seeing his work, I knew that I wanted to work with him. He has a gift of looking at things from an askew lens, making simple things complicated, and complicated things, simple. Simply, he has a beautiful eye when it comes to capturing images.

Sojourn captures the everyday lives of everyday people in a small village in India. It is a meditative piece of work, which grounds you for twenty-five minutes in a way that makes you think about the excesses of Western culture, and also the extremity of poverty, and what does it mean to be happy.

- Malik Isasis

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After watching this video, i was thinking to myself about what does it truly take in order to be happy and satisfied? It is through the simple things in life where we find joy and peace, but we forget that because of our excuses of having busy lives and by continually being bombarded by the ideas of "happiness" through the media. This video just grabbed my attention and reminded me to enjoy the simpler things in life that can bring more meaning to oneself than one can imagine.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Malik Isasis said...

I agree Annie. I think we've created a lot of distractions in our culture. If it were not for the distractions, we may actually have to deal with one another.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly-I think people are actually afraid of dealing with one another and that is why they continue to live their lives in a box. People are afraid to taste a part of life that they have never tasted before-true freedom. Freedom from all the boundaries we put ourselves and allow others to also put. Hopefully with this coming new year change will truly be a major part of our lives-especially change in the way we live our daily lives.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home