Thursday, July 24, 2008

Nth DEGREE: THE STRAIGHT DOPE
RAINY DAYS AND SUNDAYS ALWAYS GET ME DOWN
by N






















Sunday to me has always been a day of rest, relaxation, and maybe some self reflection and fun. It has also been the day of the week to put the breaks on and get back to reality. But since moving to the big city, Sundays have been a whirlwind of obsessively cleaning, catching up on sleep, accepting being alone, sulking, and excessive eating. I mean I wake up, usually in my own bed, and wonder what I am going to do today. The answer always rears its ugly head, nothing.

Am I being suffocated by Sunday?

I realized in the past, Sundays would be used to fastidiously finish up college papers, clean out my garage with my ex-husband, frolic over to a local wine tasting, or eat a large meal and catch up with my family. These days none of that happens because by my own choice and of course because I no longer have an ex-husband and a garage, my Sundays have morphed into this mental day of reckoning. I tend to ask myself “What should I do next? When should I do it? Who should I do it with? And why haven’t I done this sooner?”

Well those answers are blatantly clear. My family is states away. My friends are always busy, too tired from Saturday night, or spending time with their significant others and/or families. And of course there is the small fact that I find it hard to wake up at a decent time and find motivation. I end up being so exhausted by the What’s, When’s, and Who’s that I take a much needed nap and forget all about it until I wake up at 8pm from a “nap” and feel guilty.

So after much struggle with my Sundays and reflection, I have decided to impart some words of wisdom. It’s okay to take a day and do nothing or something by yourself. That’s right I am giving you unsolicited permission to mope around, sleep in, eat ice cream for breakfast, and update your Facebook page for three hours all without feeling guilty or thinking you’re headed for Depression 101.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home