Tuesday, December 05, 2006


FOR REAL?
by Malik Isasis



Keith Ellison, Democratic Congressman-elect from Minnesota has become the first Muslim ever elected to the United States. And yet Republican operatives are trying to undermine, and marginalize Ellis as a Congressman even before he takes office. Ellison is trusted and was elected by the folks in Minnesota, but under the guise of being politically incorrect, Glenn Beck felt it his duty to question Ellison’s loyalty. (watch the video at Media Matters).

BECK: I will tell you, may I — may we have five minutes here where we’re just politically incorrect and I play the cards face up on the table?
ELLISON: Go there.
BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I’ve been to mosques. I really don’t believe that Islam is a religion of evil. I — you know, I think it’s being hijacked, quite frankly.
With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, ‘Let’s cut and run.’ And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, ‘Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.’
And I know you’re not. I’m not accusing you of being an enemy, but that’s the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.
ELLISON: Well, let me tell you, the people of the Fifth Congressional District know that I have a deep love and affection for my country. There’s no one who is more patriotic than I am. And so, you know, I don’t need to — need to prove my patriotic stripes.

Just recently, Ellison stated that he wanted to take his Oath on the Qur’an, rather than the Bible. Conservative Culture Warrior, Dennis Prager, stated the “act undermines American civilization.”

The Cultural Warriors of American Values use of hyperbole is yet another device in which they cut up red meat into the stew of xenophobia and feed it to their rightwing base. Think Progress exposed Prager’s Swiss Cheese logic by simply doing a little research and finding that “the swearing-in ceremony for the House of Representatives never includes a religious book.”

The character assassination of Ellison has not yet caught any traction within the mainstream media. Look for Republican operatives to continue to try and legitimize this into a major story.



CHEST NUTS ROASTING

As hundreds of people a day are found dead in Iraq, Fox News has found the air time for an oldie but goodie.

Fox News has once again pulled out, and dusted off the Old Chestnut, “War on Christmas” . It has become a tradition over at Fox. It starts just after Thanksgiving, the turkey and stuffing in Cultural Warrior Bill O’Reilly’s gut hasn't even digested before he gets on his white horse and parade around like an ass. Cultural Warrior O’Reilly looks just over the blood soaked tales of Iraq, Congressional, and Executive corruption, genocide in Darfur, and an AIDS epidemic to bring us department stores that do not say, “Merry Christmas,” rather, they criminally say, “Happy Holidays.” Where is the moral value in that?





PEACE BE WITH YOU

One of our most beloved Ambassadors to the UN, The Mustachio’d One, John Bolton has resigned after his bid for another term was left to expire by the outgoing 109th Congress. John Bolton is one of the worst diplomats ever appointed by the US. Bolton, who is short-tempered and contemptuous toward the Organization he was appointed (wink-wink) to up hold was just...how do you say...ineffective? Like Bush, he didn't like to talk to people who disagreed with his world view. In an article in The Economist, a Senior Western Diplomat was quoted as saying:

“If Bolton left tomorrow, progress would be possible on almost every front where it is now stalled.”

It’s amazing that people who hate the government like Bush, and people who hate talking to others because their views differ, are diplomats, would be doing the very thing in which they hold contempt. I guess if you look at the government as a money-laundering operation, then maybe it ain’t so bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home